Should I get my rings professionally cleaned?
by Joe Jackson on Jun 11, 2022
Over time your rings can become warn, scratched and faded and you may be considering a professional cleaning service. The good news is, you are likely to be able to do a basic clean yourself. There are a few things to consider to ensure a safe and effective clean. There are also some situations where your rings may need to be cleaned by a professional. Let’s look into some of the situations and options before you start.
Can I clean my own rings
In short, yes. Cleaning your own rings is possible to a certain level but there are a few things to consider first.
- Do your rings have pearls? Liquid can damage certain types so consider a professional clean for these.
- Don’t use the sink. Without stating the obvious, don’t use anything with a drain to minimise the risk of losing your rings.
- Check your stone settings. If these seem loose in anyway you may wish to seek a professionals help to ensure you get a safe clean and any setting adjustments needed.
What cleaning products are safe to use on my rings?
The good news is, you don’t need to go out and buy any special jewellery cleaning products. The most effective solution for cleaning rings is washing up liquid and warm water. Simply mix the two together and let your rings soak then lightly brush with a soft toothbrush around the settings and stones. Avoid using any abrasive sponges that can scratch the metal. Harsh chemicals can also damage your rings so avoid these at all costs. It is also worth noting that this is purely a cleaning method and not a polish.
When to get your rings professionally cleaned
Whilst cleaning your own rings can save time and money, sometimes it is worth having your jewellery looked after by a specialist. There are certain benefits to getting your rings professionally cleaned. Any professional jeweller will clean your jeweller with the utmost care and also spot any defects such as loose fittings or nasty scratches and can advise accordingly.
Some key things to look out for when getting your rings professionally cleaned:
- Do they use sonic cleaning? A sonic cleaner is one of the most effective and safest ways to clean your jewellery
- Are they using any harsh chemicals? If so, this could be a red flag and should be questioned.
- Are they using abrasive materials? As above, this could damage your ring and should be avoided.
Ways to avoid damaging your rings
One of the key ways to reduce the amount of cleaning is to follow a few simple steps to ensure you look after your rings properly.
- Avoid wearing your rings in the shower or when swimming
- Remove your rings before you apply hand creams
- Remove your rings before you use hand sanitiser
These simple steps reduce the amount of harsh chemical exposure which can help maintain your rings natural shine.
Get a professional ring clean for free
At Anthony Paul Jewellery, we will clean your rings completely free of charge at one our jewellery boutiques using a sonic cleaner. We will also give it a free health check for any loose fittings or defects and advise accordingly. We also offer a professional polishing service for a small fee. Get in touch today or visit us in store.